- Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 min
- Servings: 16 Eggrolls
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 20 min
- 2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and sliced with grain into 3-inch wide pieces
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil (plus more for brushing)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large green pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 8 slices (about 8 ounces) of white American cheese
- 16 (7 inch square) egg roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place steak pieces on large plate or baking sheet and freeze until very firm, usually about an 1 hour.
- In a in 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until softened; about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to medium bowl.
- Using sharp knife, shave steak pieces as thinly as possible against grain. Mound meat on cutting board and chop coarsely with knife 10 to 20 times.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking.
- Add half of meat in even layer and cook without stirring until well browned on 1 side, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir and continue to cook until meat is no longer pink about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer meat to colander set in large bowl.
- Wipe out skillet with paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sliced meat.
- Reduce heat to low, return meat to skillet, and stir in onion mixture, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, and single slices of American cheese over meat. Allow cheeses to melt, about 2 minutes.
- Using heatproof spatula or wooden spoon, fold melted cheese into meat thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 2 tablespoons water in a bowl until it forms a paste.
- ASSEMBLE THE EGG ROLLS:
- Lay one egg roll wrapper with the corner pointed toward you.
- Place 1/3 cup of the mixture on egg roll wrapper.
- Fold corner up over the mixture.
- Fold left and right corners toward the center and continue to roll.
- Brush a bit of the flour paste on the final corner to help seal the egg roll.
- Place egg rolls on prepared baking sheet and brush each one sparingly with vegetable oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip egg rolls over using tongs. Bake for an additional 5 to 6 minutes, until egg rolls are nicely browned on both sides.
- Transfer egg rolls to paper towel-lined plate to absorb any oil before serving.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce or honey mustard for dipping.
NotesThis is a very tasty appetizer I had during my time in Alaska. Can you believe that? Philly CheeseSteak Eggrolls in Alaska.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
The One Dollar Cookbook
Foodie BabySee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More