- Cooking Time: 25–30
- Servings: 8–10
- Preparation Time: 45
- 16 oz mini penne pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ cup Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms, just caps
- ½ lb sirloin steak, trimmed of excess fat and sliced very thinly
- ½ tsp garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 2 cup shredded provolone/mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup panko* bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; add pasta and cook about 6–8 minutes, until al dente.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil, onion, green pepper and mushrooms.
- Sauté over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slice the beef into thin bite-sized strips (Tip: for easier slicing, freeze the meat about 1 hour prior).
- Add the sirloin, garlic, salt and pepper to the skillet.
- Continue to cook another 5 to 7 minutes, or until the meat is browned.
- Remove from heat and set aside momentarily while you prepare the cheese sauce.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter.
- Add the cream cheese; heat and stir with a wire whisk until completely melted and smooth.
- Add the milk and cream a little at a time.
- Continue to whisk quickly in order to avoid lumps. Add the provolone or mozzarella.
- Continue to whisk until thoroughly blended and smooth. Combine the cooked macaroni and beef mixture with the cheese sauce; stir well until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9" x 13” glass-baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, melted.
- Sprinkle topping over macaroni mixture.
- Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
Notes*PANKO [PAHN-koh] - Bread crumbs used in Japanese cooking for coating fried foods. They're coarser than those normally used in the United States and create a deliciously crunchy crust. Panko is sold in Asian markets.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Delicious Recipes Made EasySee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More