- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 1 lb package of lasagna noodles
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 - 6 oz cans tomato paste
- 1 large can tomato sauce
- 1 large can tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp basil
- 1/2 lb mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 lb cottage cheese
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- Combine cheeses with beaten egg, and set aside.
- Sauté beef and onions together in half of the olive oil.
- Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, and tomatoes to beef along with seasonings.
- Simmer sauce for 25 minutes.
- Cook lasagna noodles per package directions with half of the olive oil in the boiling water to keep from sticking.
- In large shallow pan start with a layer of sauce then a layer of noodles, sauce, cheese, alternating layers. Last layer should be sauce then cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Tip - cottage cheese may be added into sauce instead of the cheese mixture which if you have young children may be best as it is not as noticeable. Recipe as is serves 6 to 8.
- This recipe the way Phyllis would make for a crowd, and the way I always make it is to double everything but the noodles and spices. I always prepare in a throw away aluminum pan. Remember this is a very heavy dish, so always lift with a strong baking sheet. Other tips: I sometimes simmer my sauce in a crock pot if I have the time, and assemble the lasagna later in day, or if it is for a Sunday dinner I put it all together the night before without baking it. Store in refrigerator and pop in the oven after church.
NotesThis recipe was developed by a retiree, Phyllis Abel, and her sister in the 1970's. Phyllis was a renowned cook. When it was a holiday or special occasion in Service Observing we would all chip in and buy the ingredients, and Phyllis would take a morning off and prepare this perfect lasagna for us. Her lasagna was magazine picture perfect. Phyllis has passed on now, but every time I prepare this lasagna I remember the happy times we shared over some wonderful food. Phyllis shared this recipe and many others with all of her co-workers over the years. Phyllis was from Damascus, Virginia and several of her family worked for the telephone company throughout the years.
Submitted by: "Tracy Luchini"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More