- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 8 to 12
- Preparation Time: 1 hr minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green and red bell pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey (you can switch out with ground beef)
- 1 (5 ounce) jar green olives, pitted and halved
- Serves 8 to 12 people
- 5 ounces capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 cups canned tomatoes, half-drained1/2 cup of raisins
- 2 lbs. of potatoes
- Serving price per individual is $3.48
- Put potatoes in aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. (Going to slice them and throw them in the picadillo towards end about 10 minutes before done cooking.)
- In a pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic, onion and green and red pepper until onions are transparent. Transfer onion mixture to a bowl and set aside. In the same pot, brown the ground beef.
- In a separate saucepan, combine the olives, capers, vinegar, salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, raisins and bay leaves (option is to add hot sauce). Let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Place the olive mixture and the onion mixture into the pot with the ground beef. Add the half drained tomatoes and cook for 1 hour over medium heat; stirring occasionally. 20 to 10 minutes before it's done cooking add the potatoes and stir.
NotesPicadillo is a meat entree originating from Cuba. My mom use to make this all the time while we were growing up. Since then I've added a few other extras to make this a hearty meal.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
The One Dollar Cookbook
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More