- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds eggplant
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and julienne
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 3 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Peel the eggplant and cut into 1/8 inch julienne strips about 2 inches long.
- Place the eggplant in a colander.
- Add the salt and toss well.
- Cover the colander, place over a large bowl, and let stand 1 hour.
- Combine the oil, onion, pepper and garlic in a large, heavy non-reactive Dutch oven or deep skillet.
- Place over medium heat, and sauté the mixture for 5 min.
- Add the eggplant and sauté until golden on all sides, about 5 min.
- Stir in the oregano, capers and hot pepper flakes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and divide the eggplant mixture among 6 sterilized half-pint jars.
- Return the Dutch oven to the stove and add the vinegar add sugar.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 min.
- Remove the pan from the heat and spoon the liquid mixture equally into the 6 jars, leaving a 1/4 inch head space in each jar.
- Seal the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 15 min.
- Let cool and store in a cool, dark place for 2 - 3 weeks before using.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Short & Sweet
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More