- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds eggplant
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and julienne
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 3 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Peel the eggplant and cut into 1/8 inch julienne strips about 2 inches long.
- Place the eggplant in a colander.
- Add the salt and toss well.
- Cover the colander, place over a large bowl, and let stand 1 hour.
- Combine the oil, onion, pepper and garlic in a large, heavy non-reactive Dutch oven or deep skillet.
- Place over medium heat, and sauté the mixture for 5 min.
- Add the eggplant and sauté until golden on all sides, about 5 min.
- Stir in the oregano, capers and hot pepper flakes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and divide the eggplant mixture among 6 sterilized half-pint jars.
- Return the Dutch oven to the stove and add the vinegar add sugar.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 min.
- Remove the pan from the heat and spoon the liquid mixture equally into the 6 jars, leaving a 1/4 inch head space in each jar.
- Seal the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 15 min.
- Let cool and store in a cool, dark place for 2 - 3 weeks before using.
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake RecipeSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More