- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a camping recipe made using a pie iron. For those unfamiliar with pie irons, they are a cast iron cooking implement used for cooking over campfires and can be found at most sporting goods or camping stores. When closed, they look a bit like a flat iron (like one you’d use on your hair) with really long handles. You place a filled pie iron over coals (not directly in the fire) or on a grate over a less-hot area of your campfire.
If you are new to pie iron cooking, you will want to make sure you follow the package instructions for seasoning your pie iron before attempting to cook anything with it. If you enjoy this recipe, see my kitchen page to find my full selection of pie iron cooking recipes.
- Cooking Spray
- 6 slices wheat sandwich bread
- 1 can no sugar added apple pie filling
- 6 packets of Splenda sweetener
- Cinnamon to taste
- With cooking spray, generously spray inside of pie iron and one side of a slice of bread.
- Place bread - sprayed side down - into the pie iron. Evenly spread 1/3 of the pie filling over the bread, arranging the apple pieces to fit together so there are not gaps between them. Sprinkle with 1 packet of Splenda and about ½ tsp of cinnamon or to taste. Spray the second slice of bread with cooking spray and place sprayed side up over filling.
- Close the pie iron and cook over medium coals or on a grate over a less-hot portion of the fire, turning every 3-5 minutes. After the pie iron has cooked for approx 5 minutes on each side, gently open the pie iron to check its progress. If necessary, continue cooking, turning every 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned on both sides. When done, carefully remove from pie from iron. Sprinkle with 1 packet of Splenda, a dash of cinnamon and allow to cool before eating.
- Repeat steps 1-3 twice more.