- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 stick butter
- 6 slices white sandwich bread
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar, divided
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon, divided
- Powdered sugar to taste
- Generously butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread - buttered side down - into the pie iron. Evenly spread 1/3 of the pie filling over bread. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp brown sugar and ½ tsp cinnamon. Place a second slice of bread – buttered side up – over the filling.
- Close the pie iron and cook over medium coals or on a grate over a less-hot portion of the fire, turning every 3-5 minutes. After the pie iron has cooked for approx 5 minutes on each side, gently open the pie iron to check its progress. If necessary, continue cooking, turning every 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned on both sides. When done, carefully remove from pie from iron and sprinkle with ½ tsp of cinnamon and powdered sugar to taste. Allow to cool before eating.
- Repeat steps 1-3 twice more.
NotesThis is a camping recipe made using a pie iron. For those unfamiliar with pie irons, they are a cast iron cooking implement used for cooking over campfires and can be found at most sporting goods or camping stores. When closed, they look a bit like a flat iron (like one you’d use on your hair) with really long handles. You place a filled pie iron over coals (not directly in the fire) or on a grate over a less-hot area of your campfire.
If you are new to pie iron cooking, you will want to make sure you follow the package instructions for seasoning your pie iron before attempting to cook anything with it. If you enjoy this recipe, see my kitchen page to find my full selection of pie iron cooking recipes.