PINEAPPLE CASHEW QUINOA STIR FRY
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed and drained
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 ounces cashews, raw and unsalted
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 hot red chile, sliced into very thin rounds
- 1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas or cooked edamame
- 1/2 fresh basil leaves, rolled and sliced into thin shreds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 10 ounces fresh pineapple, cut into bite-size chunks (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- Lime wedges for garnish (optional :))
Prepare the quinoa first: Combine the quinoa, juice, water, and soy sauce in a medium-size pot. Cover, place over high heat, and bring to a boil. Stir a few times, lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 12-14, minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa appears plumped and slightly translucent. Uncover, fluff, and let cool.
For best results, place the quinoa in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. If you're in a hurry, chill the covered quinoa for at least an hour. When ready to use, break up any chunks of the cold quinoa with a fork.
Prepare the stir-fry:
Use the largest nonstick skillet you have (at least 11 inches in diameter) or a wok. Have all of your ingredients chopped and easily within reach. Place the cashews in the dry pan and heat over low heat, stirring them, until lightly toasted, 4-5 minutes.
Remove the cashews from the pan, raise the heat to medium, and add the peanut oil, scallions, and garlic. When the garlic starts to sizzle, add the sliced chile pepper and ginger. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, then add the bell pepper and peas. Stir-fry for another 3-4 minutes, until the bell pepper is softened and the peas are bright green. Add the basil and mint, and stir for another minute before adding the pineapple and quinoa.
In a measuring cup, combine the soy sauce, vegetable stock, and mirin. Pour over the quinoa mixture. Stir to incorporate completely and coat the quinoa. Continue to stir-fry 10-14 minutes, until quinoa is very hot.
Serve with lime wedges and additional soy sauce, to season individual servings to taste.
(taken from Veganomicon Cookbook)