- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 2 c sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 lg eggs, room temperature
- 2 (8 oz) cans crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Coconut icing (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350 (use 325 for a glass pan). Lightly grease and flour a 9 X 13.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, pineapple, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with and electric mixer until just combined (about 1 minute, do not over beat).
- Pour batter into prepared 9 X 13, and bake for 30-45 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Using end of a wooden spoon, poke holes in top of cake at 1 inch intervals. Sprinkle coconut and nuts on top and pour prepared icing over top of hot cake.
NotesThis is the second recipe I tried from Paula Deen's magazine. This made the most moist cake I have ever had. This is like a from-scratch version of a "poke cake". Really do use the pineapple in heavy syrup. If you do not like pineapple, don't worry, because you really can't taste it but I think it is what makes the cake so moist. The cake is just as easy to make as a box mix and tastes a million times better!