- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe cake box may say ‘do not substitute fruit juice for water’ but it is okay to do it.
- 1 pkg yellow, pineapple or butter cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 can (lb, 4 oz) pineapple slices -- reserve the juice
- maraschino cherry halves
- Melt butter in a 13x9x2-inch pan. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly in pan. Arrange drained pineapple slices (reserve the juice!!) and maraschino cherry halves on the sugar mixture.
- Mix cake as directed on the box. For example: 1 1/3 cup liquid (reserved pineapple juice plus water to equal 1 1/3 cup) and 2 eggs. Beat as directed. Pour batter over fruit. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes, until tests done with a toothpick. Let stand 5 minutes for topping to begin to set. Then turn upside down onto a large platter or cookie sheet.