- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups sliced pineapple (cored rounds) (about ½ pineapple)
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almons extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- Pina Colada Ice Cream
- 2 ripe golden pineapples (about 2 lbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 2/3 cup sweetened coconut
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper. Wrap outside bottom and sides of pan with plastic and then aluminum foil – this will catch any of the syrup as the cake bakes.
- For fruit, toss the pineapple with pineapple juice. Melt butter and brown sugar together over medium heat. Stir in fruit and vanilla and pour into prepared pan, arranging pineapple slices so they sit flat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For cake, stir the cream, egg whites, yolks and extracts to blend and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter and pineapple juice to flour and mix with electric beaters until blended. Add half of the egg mixture and blend. Add remaining egg mixture and blend until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl often. Scrape batter over pineapple in the prepared spring form pan and spread to level. Bake for 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 15 minutes, then invert onto a plate to cool completely. Slice and serve with Pina Colada Ice Cream.
- Pina Colada Ice Cream
- Peel and core pineapples, removing eyes. Dice up 2 ½ cups of pineapple and set aside. Purée remaining pineapple in a blender or food processor and stir in sugar and lime juice. Whip cream to soft peaks and fold into pineapple juice. Stir in coconut and pour into an ice cream maker following manufacturer’s instructions. Before ice cream has completely frozen, stir in diced pineapple and spoon into a non-reactive container and freeze for at least 2 hours before scooping. Serve with Pineapple Upside Down Cake. (Makes about 6 cups of ice cream.)
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252See More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More