- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis has been an all time favorite since the 1950's.
Makes 1 12x16 glass baking dish or 2 10" cast iron skillets
By cutting the pineapple rings in 1/2, you get more on the cake...
Reserve juice from both cans of pineapple
- 1/2 stick butter (not margarine)
- 1/2 box Cups dark brown sugar
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 3 T pineapple juice
- 2 cans pineapple rings packed in juice
- 1 med size jar Maraschino cherries (for Christmas, use both red and green)
- 1 box yellow cake with pudding in the mix that calls for water, not milk
- In a medium size fry pan mix 1st 6 ingredients:
- Bring to boil, lower to simmer, stirring often till smooth...about 5 minutes.
- Pour into baking dish/pans. (12 x 16 baking dish or 2 10" cast iron frying pans) Cut pineapple rings in half (crescent shape) Arrange pineapple slices, (3 rows for a retangular - I alternate the rows - pinwheel for round pan.)
- Place a cherry in the curve of each pineapple slice.
- (NOTE: all leftover ring should be chopped and put in cake.)
- Make cake mix according to directions EXCEPT:
- Use pineapple juice instead of water and Add leftover chopped pineapple.
- DO NOT POUR BATTER IN PAN. Batter must be spooned, starting at the edge of the pan and working in. Be sure the batter is in total contact with pan at the edges and all fruit and topping is totally covered.
- Bake per cake mix directions. When done, invert immediately onto serving plate. Any disarrangement of fruit due to flipping can be fixed by just sliding it back in place. Cool, slice and serve.