PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CUPCAKES
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 16 to 18
- Preparation Time:
- 1 medium fresh pineapple (peeled, cored and finely chopped)
- 1 cup red maraschino cherries (drained and finely chopped)
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350̊ F.
- Spray the inside of 18 standard muffin cups with nonstick spray.
- Combine the pineapple and cherries in a small bowl.
- Stir to blend and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine the butter, the corn syrup and the brown sugar.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda and the salt. Whisk to blend and set aside.
- Combine the eggs, the granulated sugar and the oil in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, set on a medium speed, beat until the mixture is thick and cream colored. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla and the sour cream.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar mixture in the bottom of each prepared muffin cup.
- Cover the brown sugar, in each muffin cup, with some of pineapple-cherry mixture, Cover the pineapple mixture, in each muffin cup, with a scant 1/3 cup of cupcake batter.
- The batter should come just to the top of the muffin cup.
- Bake until the tops of the cupcakes are golden brown and a tester comes out clean, about 20 - 30 minutes. (When testing for doneness,do not insert the tester all the way down into the pineapple. Just test the cupcake itself.
- Remove from oven and set pan(s), with cupcakes, on a rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Run the blade of a small, sharp knife around the edge of each cupcake to loosen.
- Invert cupcakes on the rack.
- Turn cupcakes pineapple side up and cool completely.
- Do not use paper or foil liners for these cupcakes or the pineapple will not show.
- Just be sure to grease the muffin cups very well.
- If you have the patience these would make lovely mini cupcakes.
- You will have to determine the amounts for each cup.
- The recipe, as written, will make 16 - 18 full sized cupcakes depending on the size of the muffin cups.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More