- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
BackstoryMy grandmother use to make this all the time! It's a delicious treat!
- -cooking spray
- 1/2-c. butter, melted
- 1 & 1/2- c. brown sugar
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1-20 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 1-18.25 ounce package pineapple cake mix (such as Duncan Hines® Pineapple Supreme)
- 3 eggs
- 1 & 1/3-c. pineapple juice
- 1/3-c. vegetable oil
- 1-tbpn confectioners' sugar for dusting, or as needed
- Move an oven rack into the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray 24 muffin cups with cooking spray. Line a work surface with waxed paper. Spoon 1 teaspoon melted butter into the bottom of each sprayed muffin cup. Spoon 1 tablespoon brown sugar in each muffin cup. Press a maraschino cherry into the center of the brown sugar in each muffin cup. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of crushed pineapple over the cherry and compact it with the back of a spoon into an even layer. Mix pineapple cake mix, eggs, pineapple juice, and vegetable oil in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Turn mixer speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes. Pour pineapple cake batter into the muffin cups, filling them to the top; do not overfill. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool at least 5 minutes before inverting muffin cups onto the waxed paper to release. Serve with pineapple and cherry sides up. Sprinkle cupcakes lightly with confectioners' sugar.