- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Servings: 18 pieces
- Preparation Time:
- 250 g flour ( I used 125 g white "0" type and 125 g emmer flour)
- 15 g fresh yeast
- 2 tablespoons Extravirgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 200 ml water
- 300 g ricotta
- 1 egg
- 2,5 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano
- 4 teaspoons Pesto alla Genovese
- 50 g speck
- Sift the flours into a bowl, make a well in the middle.
- Put the yeast, and start adding water little by little, mixing with a fork or wooden spoon, till yeast melts, taking in little flour as well.
- Add oil and salt.
- Add all the water and mix in all the flour.
- Turn onto a floured kneading board, and knead firmly until you have the dough that looks like bread or pizza dough.
- Cover and let it rest in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I usually put the dough into a cold oven.
- For the filling, mix ricotta with the egg, add Pesto alla Genovese (I added 1 teaspoon at a time, until I reached the taste I liked) and speck cut into stripes. Speck is like prosciutto, but smoked and saltier. I didn't add any salt to the filling, because pesto, parmigiano and speck are already salty enough.
- Roll out the dough to 3-4 mm thick, trim to get a rectangle, brush with little oil and spread the ricotta mixture.
- Roll it up, starting from a longer side, and then cut into 1 1/2 cm (1/2" approx.) thick slices. Place them on a baking tin lined with baking paper, cover and let rise for 1/2 hour again.
- Drizzle with little oil and sprinkle with grated Parmigiano.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 220°C for about 20 minutes or until golden.
NotesI prepared these as appetizers last Saturday for my dinner party. We finished them for breakfast the following day. So I guess they are great for any occasion.
If you don't like pesto, you can use spinac instead.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More