- Cooking Time: Varies
- Preparation Time: Varies
BackstoryFrom Valia Nikitina & Irina Zolina, as argued out in our big, old-fashioned Warrenville kitchen. Our Russian visitors were all good cooks, and each had her own correct recipe.
For main course, dessert, or snack.
The Pirogi are eaten out of hand.
The Pirog is richer and eaten with a plate and fork.
Grease hands before handling dough.
Use butter, not oil, to grease pan.
Photo from Food Network.com: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/mushroom-apple-pierogies-recipe.html
- Dough Ingredients:
- 1 small or 1/2 regular yeast
- 1/4 to 1/2 C lukewarm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 C flour
- 2 C warm milk
- Little salt
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Melted butter
- Apple Filling Ingredients:
- Chopped walnuts
- 1-2 T sugar
- Jam Filling Ingredients:
- Any decent jam can be used as filling.
- Cabbage Filling Ingredients:
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 onion
- Chopped hardboiled egg (optional)
- Directions: Dough
- Mix yeast, lukewarm water, and sugar very well in a cup.
- Mix flour, warm milk, and salt very well.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture.
- Mix some.
- Add 1 more heaping cup flour.
- Add 2 large spoons oil on top.
- Knead with hands 5-10 minutes, until dough comes clean from hands but is still soft and sticky.
- After kneading, put in a big greased pot.
- Put melted butter on top and cover with cloth.
- Put in a warm place, let it rise 2-3 hours.
- Punch down twice if it rises very fast. Better if punched down once.
- Directions: Apple filling
- Slice apples medium fine.
- Brown in butter (get a crust).
- Add chopped walnuts and 1-2 T sugar.
- Let sit 15-20 minutes to get juices.
- Directions: Cabbage Filling:
- Sauté a head of cabbage and an onion.
- Add chopped hard-boiled egg (optional).
- Directions to make Pirozhgi (cabbage, jam, or apple):
- Pat out dough into 2”-3” diameter circle.
- Put big tablespoon filling on circle.
- Pinch edges together, round up into oval and put seam down on oiled pan.
- Let rise 15-20 minutes.
- Brush egg beaten with a little water on top of cabbage ones.
- Put in 450 degree oven, turn down to 400 degrees, cook 25-30 minutes.
- Directions for Apple Pirog:
- Add 2 eggs, sugar, melted butter, some more flour to dough.
- Let rise another 1/2 hour.
- Put dough in greased pan, make slight upward rim at edge.
- Spread apple mix over base.
- Put strips of dough over base like a lattice.
- Pinch edges.
- Brush top with beaten egg.
- Bake immediately in 400-degree oven.