- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time: 70-150 minutes
- 1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tbl honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Mix honey and water together
- Add yeast.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Add the salt and oil and give it a quick stir.
- Add 1 cup of flour and mix it well. If you want to add some herbs, now is the time.
- Add the rest of the flour.
- Mix it as much as your can with a spoon then use your hands. If it is too wet add flour by the tbl until it is dry enough to knead, if it is too dry add water by the tbl until its right.
- Turn it out onto a well floured surface and knead it for a few minutes (1-5). Form it into a ball and put it into a large, oiled container, cover it with a clean cloth and let it rise till it's doubled in volume (30-45 minutes or so).
- Punch it down
- Let it rise till it's doubled again (an hour to an hour and a half)
- Punch it down
- Turn it onto a well floured surface, use it for whatever you want to use pizza dough for.
NotesThis recipe is a mash-up of several pizza dough recipes I found on the net. It is fairly yeasty, but not overpoweringly so. Sometimes I add more honey, sometimes dried herbs. I always knead by hand since I don't have a stand mixer, so I don't know what kind of changes would be needed to use one. I have made pizza, calzones, foccacia and pigs-in-blankets with it so far. It is nice, versatile stuff.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Babette's Test Kitchen
Cooking with SabraSee More
Raw “Vodka Sauce”
Memere's Chocolate Chip CookiesSee More