PIZZA PATTY MELTS
- Cooking Time: 6-10
- Servings: 4
- 1 pound lean ground chuck
- 1/4 pound finely diced pepperoni
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce, heated
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 small loaf (10 ounces) Italian bread
Crumble the ground beef into a bowl. Add the pepperoni, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix gently without overworking, then shape into 4 patties.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add burgers; cook, turning once, 6 to 10 minutes, or until desired doneness. (You can also broil or grill the burgers.) Just before the last minute of cooking, top the burgers with the warm pizza sauce and cheese.
Meanwhile, split the Italian bread lengthwise, then cut into quarters. Toast the bread; place each burger between 2 pieces. Serve with sauteed mushrooms, if desired.