- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, sugar, parsley and basil.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Drain spaghetti; toss with sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 369 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 25 g protein
NotesThis makes a great, slightly sweet pasta sauce. It's unusual to have a red sauce without a garlic component to it. I did not miss it. I did substitute Hormel pizza ready canadian bacon for the turkey pepperoni as I could not find the pepperoni. That's fine as I will use the leftover bacon in potato soup next week. In addition to fresh parley and basil, I added fresh oregano and marjoram from my herb garden. I have to say that the sauce is quite addictive...kept making myself another bowl(and licking it clean!!)
Recipe from Light and Tasty
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Cooking for a CureSee More
Curried Eggplant with Coconut Milk
Cube Steaks Paprika
Crockpot Rice Pork ChopsSee More