- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, pepperoni, sugar, parsley and basil.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Drain spaghetti; toss with sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 369 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 25 g protein
NotesThis makes a great, slightly sweet pasta sauce. It's unusual to have a red sauce without a garlic component to it. I did not miss it. I did substitute Hormel pizza ready canadian bacon for the turkey pepperoni as I could not find the pepperoni. That's fine as I will use the leftover bacon in potato soup next week. In addition to fresh parley and basil, I added fresh oregano and marjoram from my herb garden. I have to say that the sauce is quite addictive...kept making myself another bowl(and licking it clean!!)
Recipe from Light and Tasty
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More