- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. cornmeal
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast (1/4 oz.)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. warm water
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 lb. Roma tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 2 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rub 1 tsp. olive oil over a 14-inch pizza pan and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Stir yeast and sugar into warm water and let stand until foamy (2 to 3 minutes, to proof the yeast).
- Combine flour, salt, and 1 tsp. olive oil in food processor bowl fitted with a metal blade. (This dough can be made with an electric mixer or in a bread machine, but a food processor is ideal.)
- Turn on the machine.
- Pour yeast mixture through feed tube.
- Process until dough cleans inside of work bowl. If dough sticks, add more flour, a tablespoon at a time.
- If dough is crumbly, add water a teaspoon at a time.
- When you reach the desired consistency, process dough until uniformly supple and elastic, about 40 seconds.
- Roll dough immediately on heavily floured board into a 14-inch circle.
- If dough resists, let rest 5 minutes to relax the gluten, and then try again.
- Transfer dough to pizza pan.
- Work the edge to form a rim.
- Brush with remaining oil.
- Sprinkle on minced garlic and cover with an even layer of tomato slices.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until crust is crisp and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Note: You can use bottled sauce, your favorite toppings and mozzarella cheese to customize to your taste and available ingredients.
- Makes one 14-inch pie.
NotesI clipped this recipe from the Spartaburg Herald Journal newspaper. It's a keeper
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Falcon Feast
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Austin Personal Training RecipesSee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More