- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup margarine (1/2 pound)
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla or anise flavoring
- Powdered Sugar
- You will need a large sized Kitchenaide or Cusinart type mixer for this recipe as well as a Pizzelle maker (available at any Italian or cooking specialty store-Williams-Sonoma, Sur La Table, etc.):
- Beat eggs adding sugar gradually until smooth.
- Add cooled melted butter and vanilla or anise flavoring.
- Sift flower and baking powder together, then add to egg mixture, mixing until combined.
- Dough should be sticky enough to be dropped by a spoon.
- Spray pizzelle maker with Pam or other cooking spray (before turning on) and let warm up.
- Drop spoon fulls of dough onto each cookie section of pan. The first couple always come out burnt or bad, just clean those off and continue on, cooking two at a time until the batter is gone. This is a very involved process which takes quite a while, but is very fun!
- Once the cookie is finished in the pizzelle maker, take it out, place on wax paper to let cool slightly, then shake powdered sugar all over at least one side (both if you prefer).
- My sister and I make these cookies every single year for Christmas, it is one of our families traditions to serve them as part of the deserts on Christmas Eve and Night. We also wrap them up nicely to give out as gifts throughout the season.
- We usually make a few batches and listen to Christmas music, drink egg nog or cider, and have fun while making them, we look forward to this tradition every year.
NotesThis is a traditional Italian Christmas Cookie, it is beautifully shaped like a snowflake and so tasty! This is what the shells of canoli's are made from, it also resembles a waffle cone before it is rolled up to form the cone.
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Salade asiatique aux rabioles à la sauce thaïe
Pumpkin Chip Cupcakes
Breakfast CalzonesSee More