- Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
- Servings: Makes 12 scones
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Blend together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture has a crumbly texture.
- Stir in sugar with a wooden spoon.
- Add the egg and slowly begin to mix the crumbly dough with a fork.
- Gradually add in the buttermilk (you may not need all of it) until a stiff dough is formed.
- Turn out wet dough onto a floured board.
- Roll out to 3/4 inch in thickness.
- Cut dough into circles or triangles.
- Place onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with butter and jam, if desired.
NotesPlain scone dough is the bases for almost all other scones, so it is important that you have a good recipe for it. This, I find is a great plain scone recipe. It makes light and fluffy scones every time. It is important to leave small chunks of butter in the dough so that it comes out of the oven nice and flaky.
Amsterdam Friends Cookbook
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More