- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 4 sweet plantains or bananas (the more brown, the riper)
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices stale Italian or French bread, sliced 1" thick
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance spread (or substitute non-stick cooking spray)
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- Toast coconut in a small pan over low heat until light brown. Remove from heat immediately and transfer to a plate to cool. Set aside.
- If you're using plantains, they must be cooked first to soften them before you can mash them - but ripe bananas will already be soft enough so you can just mash them. Mash plantains or bananas in large bowl until smooth then add egg, cinnamon and salt. Beat until smooth.
- Dip bread slices into plantain mix, saturating both sides. Over medium-high heat, either melt 1 tablespoon of the Smart Balance or spray non-stick cooking spray into a large skillet. Cook four slices of the bread until golden brown on each side.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut and almonds. Repeat with the remaining four pieces of bread. Serve immediately.
NotesNutrition Information per Serving
Calories 370, Total Fat 14g, Saturated Fat 4.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 420mg, Carbohydrates 54g, Fiber 6g, Sugar 27g, Protein 11g
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
The Naked MacaronSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More