PLAY BALL RICE BITES
Play Ball Rice Bites
- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- For the dip:
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mixed fruit in juice, half drained
- 1/4 cup canned tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- For the rice balls:
- 1 can (8.25 ounces) no-salt added mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (white or brown), warm
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup finely crushed crisp rice cereal
- Non-stick spray oil for baking, or vegetable oil for frying
To make the dip: Purée the mixed fruit, tomato paste and vinegar in a blender or food processor; set aside.
To make the rice balls: Purée the mixed vegetables, egg, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in a blender or food processor. Mix with rice, cheese, salt and pepper until completely combined.
Preheat oven to 375°F, or heat oil in a deep fryer to 375°F.
Scoop tablespoon-size balls of the rice mixture and gently form into balls, rolling them in the crushed rice cereal to coat.
If baking: line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil and coat with spray oil. Place balls on the sheet and spray with more oil. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes.
If frying: fry in the deep fryer in small batches until crisp and brown, about 1 minute per batch. Drain on paper towels.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 170; Total fat 4.5g; Saturated fat 2.5g; Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 230mg; Total carbohydrate 27g; Fiber 2g; Protein 6g; Vitamin A 100%DV*; Vitamin C 20%DV; Calcium 10%DV; Iron 20%DV