- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin (NOT premade Pumpkin Pie Mix)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- pinch of Salt
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 2 pinches Nutmeg
- 3/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- We are not crust makers, my tween and I, so we purchased a frozen deep dish crust. Please don't judge. (If you want to make your own crust, go for it and send us your favorite recipe. After the fun of the South Side Pie Challenge, we're seeking to become crust people before next year's event.)
- Preheat the oven to 350. Blind bake your pie shell so the crust on the bottom isn't all soggy.
- In large bowl, whisk together all the pie filling ingredients until smooth. Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes. (Ours took a bit longer but ovens vary. Far be it from me to give instructions that mean a burned pie. If it's not done at 30 minutes, no worries, just keep it in a few minutes longer.)
- To make the pie special, we decided to pretty it up for the contest. We did this by using a small cookie cutter to cut leaves out of an extra pie crust. We baked them separately for a few minutes and then placed them around the outer crust and center of the pie in the last minutes of cooking.
- This recipe was adapted from this one from The Woodland Bakery. I've blogged about our pie adventure here at http://www.chicagonow.com/tween-us .
NotesPleasing Pumpkin took third place in the Pumpkin/Sweet Potato Category
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Sweet Potato Pizza Dough
Grilled Summer Veggie Pizza
Zesty Italian ChickenSee More