- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryIt takes a lot of fruit to make a small amount of butter, so save this recipe for the end of the season, when there is a glut.
Fruit butter does not keep very well and needs to be eaten up fairly quickly. It is soft and can be spread easily.
Makes 1.1 kg (2 1/2 lb)
- 1.4 Kilogram Plums, skinned and stoned (3 lb)
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- 450 ml Water (3/4 pint)
- Put the plums, lemon zest and juice and water in a large saucepan.
- Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, until the fruit is soft and pulpy.
- Using a wooden spoon, press the fruit pulp through a nylon sieve and measure the purée.
- Return the purée to the pan and add 350g (12 oz) sugar for each 600ml (1 pint) purée.
- Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and is like jam in consistency. Pot and cover the butter.