- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes in puree
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- several leaves of fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- freshly milled black or white pepper
- 4 eggs, as fresh as possible
- Pass the tomates and their puree through a food mill or a sieve, set aside.
- Select a skillet large enough to accommodate the eggs later. Combine the olive oil, garlic, and onion in the cold skillet and place over low heat. Stir, cover, and then cook gently until the garlic and onion are wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the tomoate paste and stir in. Now stir in the seived tomatoes, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes. The sauce should be thick, not watery. If the sauce is thin, simmer uncovered for a little longer. [Note: I found that my sauce was a too clumpy, so I added some of the remaining juice/puree from the strained tomatoes.]
- Now proceed in one of two ways: crack each of the eggs in a cup or small bowl first, to be sure the yolk is intact, and slip each directly into the simmering suace. Try to do this quickly so the eggs will all go in at about the same time. Immediately cover the pan and continue to simmer gently 2 or 3 minutes, or until a white skin forms over the yolks. Be sure not to overcook the eggs, or the yolks will be hard. Transfer the eggs and the sauce to individual plates.
- Alternatively, first poach the eggs in an egg poacher, then cover them with the sauce when you have transferred them to individual plates.
- Serve the eggs immediately with bruschetta.
NotesThis recipe is so easy and yet SO tasty. The author says that bruschetta is the ideal accompaniment to mop up the tasty sauce.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
The Italian ExchangeSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More