- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pkg/~15 slices of thick bacon, diced **I used an entire pkg of apple smoke bacon, which probably had ~15slices total & it wasn't thickly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 large poblano chilies, seeded, chopped OR finely processed in a food chopper, kept ~1 tbsp out from soup for deco
- 2 14 3/4- to 15-ounce cans cream-style corn
- 1 16-oz package frozen corn kernels, thawed **I left this frozen, I suppose it really doesn't matter, it's going into hot soup/or going to be heated through
- 2 14-oz cans low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2-3 large golden potatoes (or whatever color you like), diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can of Rotel tomatoes - Original **adds color & zing
- salt & pepper to taste
- sour cream - optional
- 2-3 cups chix meat, diced (optional, I used one of those rotissorie chixs from the deli & cut off all the useable meat & plopped that into the stock pot)
- Mix the melted butter and flour in small bowl to blend; set aside.
- Finely chop onion & celery, process the chiles or finely dice. Saute bacon in large pot over medium-high heat, once finely crispy, remove from pot & place into a bowl, then add onion-celery mixture and chilies; saut� until soft, about 6 minutes. Add creamed corn and next 7 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Add in butter-flour mixture and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chowder into bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream (optional) & sprinkle with remaining bits of chopped poblano peppers. Can also add in shredded chicken breasts & pepper jack cheese.
- Really, really good!!
- Serves: 6
NotesI got this recipe from www.epicurious.com, but made a few changes to give the soup a bit more depth. It's a wonderful recipe & really will warm you right up on a cold wintery nite.
Really, really good!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More