- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 pkg/~15 slices of thick bacon, diced **I used an entire pkg of apple smoke bacon, which probably had ~15slices total & it wasn't thickly sliced
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 large poblano chilies, seeded, chopped OR finely processed in a food chopper, kept ~1 tbsp out from soup for deco
- 2 14 3/4- to 15-ounce cans cream-style corn
- 1 16-oz package frozen corn kernels, thawed **I left this frozen, I suppose it really doesn't matter, it's going into hot soup/or going to be heated through
- 2 14-oz cans low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2-3 large golden potatoes (or whatever color you like), diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can of Rotel tomatoes - Original **adds color & zing
- salt & pepper to taste
- sour cream - optional
- 2-3 cups chix meat, diced (optional, I used one of those rotissorie chixs from the deli & cut off all the useable meat & plopped that into the stock pot)
- Mix the melted butter and flour in small bowl to blend; set aside.
- Finely chop onion & celery, process the chiles or finely dice. Saute bacon in large pot over medium-high heat, once finely crispy, remove from pot & place into a bowl, then add onion-celery mixture and chilies; saut� until soft, about 6 minutes. Add creamed corn and next 7 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Add in butter-flour mixture and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chowder into bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream (optional) & sprinkle with remaining bits of chopped poblano peppers. Can also add in shredded chicken breasts & pepper jack cheese.
- Really, really good!!
- Serves: 6
NotesI got this recipe from www.epicurious.com, but made a few changes to give the soup a bit more depth. It's a wonderful recipe & really will warm you right up on a cold wintery nite.
Really, really good!!