- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 5 potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of flour
- Peel and boil the potatoes in salted water until they are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool.
- Process the potatoes through a ricer (or just mash them until there are no lumps)
- Place the potatoes in a bowl. Add about 1 1/2 cup of flour, 1 egg, and about 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Mix by hand until the ingredients are combined. Add more flour, as needed, until the mixture becomes a soft dough consistency.
- Flour a flat working surface, transfer the dough to the surface, and knead the dough until it is smooth and pliable.
- Cut a small chunk of the dough and using your hands roll it out into a "snake" that is about 1 inch thick. Cut the rolled out dough on a diagonal into approximately 1/2 inch pieces. Repeat until you have the desired amount of pieces or you use up all the dough.
- Boil water in a large pot. When the water boils add salt. Drop the dough pieces into the boiling water. Do not overcrowd the pot. Allow the pieces to float to the surface and boil for another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the kopytka from the water using a slotted spoon. Repeat until all are cooked.
- Serve with one of the toppings listed below or with mushroom gravy.
NotesThis is a very simple and traditional Polish recipe.
Its very similar to Italian Gnocchi.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Cake Mix Banana Nut Bread
EZ Salami Rolls
Asparagus FrittataSee More