POLISH SAUSAGE ( SMOKED SAUSAGES)
Polish Sausage ( Smoked Sausages)
- Cooking Time: 2 hours
- Preparation Time: 90+
- 4 Pounds pork butt, Coarsely ground.
- 1 pound beef, coarsely ground.
- 1/1/2 tablespoons salt.
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 1/2 tablespoon ground allspice.
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon MSG (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 tablespoon curing salt ( made by Morton's) , found in most supermarkets.
- 1/2 cup cold water.
Mix all the spices in a small jar. Shake well to mix them.
Grind the meats in a meat grinder or food processor.Place the mixture in a bowl. Add the seasonings and mix thoroughly theough the meat. Mix in the cold water, which will make the meat easier to stuff.
Most meat markets can supply you with the casings. Ask for "Polish sausage size", they will know what you mean. Cut the casings into 3 to 4 foot lengths, and wash them in fresh water, rinsing the insides by putting the casings directly on the end of the faucet. I used a Kitchen Aid mixer with a sausage stuffing attachment. Or you could do it by hand using a sausage funnel. Tie off the end of the casings, and stuff the entire length, do not stuff too tightly. When done twist off each sausage to desired length, and cut apart into seperate links.
I used a small smoker using charcoal, with hickory or apple chips presoaked in water. Spread them over hot coals to create your smoke. Smoke for 2 hours at 180 to 190 degrees.