POLISH STYLE CHEESECAKE OF MY CHILDHOOD
Polish Style Cheesecake of My Childhood
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, partially drained (just not dry)
- CHEESECAKE FILLING
- 750 g about 30 oz farmer cheese (I used a brand called Friendship found with the cream cheese packages)
- 150 g about 2/3 cup sugar (or SPLENDA)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50 g about 2 tbsp potato starch or potato flour (or cornstarch)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Pan sizes: 9x13 or 11x17-inches, depending on how high you want the cake. (I use 2 disposable foil pans, one inside the other. To remove from the pan after baking, I loosen the sides then cut the pan and peel it away).
OR you can line the foil pans with foil ;), and lift it out to cut.
Mix flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup sugar, and margarine.
Work as for pie dough.
Then add beaten eggs and milk.
Pat in pan which has been greased on bottom and sides.
Cover dough with pineapple.
Cream the cheese with the sugar until very smooth.
Add lemon juice, salt and potato starch.
Add eggs yolks and beat slightly.
Beat heavy cream until soft peaks form.
Fold into the cheese mixture.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and fold into cheese mixture.
Pour cheese over pineapple.
Bake for about one hour.
Test with knife in center to see if done