- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 90
- 2 cups Rolled Oats
- 2 cups Warm Water
- Crust of Rye Bread
- 1 1/2 lb Polish Sausage
- 2 hard Boiled eggs
- 1 1/2 qt Water
- 1 tb Prepared Horseradish
- 1 ts Brown Sugar
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats with the two cups of warm water. Add the bread crust and cover with a towel.
- Let the mixture stand until it sours, at least 24 hours.
- Strain the mixture and reserve the liquid.
- Cook Polish sausage in 1 1/2 quarts water for about 1 hour.
- Remove the sausage to cool, and skim the fat from the broth.
- Combine the skimmed broth and oatmeal liquid.
- Add horseradish, brown sugar, and salt and pepper.
- Slice the sausage into small, bite-sized pieces, and add to the broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over a medium-high heat setting.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until you are ready to serve, about an hour. Can serve with sliced boiled egg and bread.
NotesThis is a popular Polish soup that I have been making since I was a little girl growing up in Poland. I always make it for family and friends during the holidays or for just a casual dinner at home.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More