- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2-3 pounds roma tomatoes, roasted, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bunch of Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 hot pepper, ribbed and seeded (optional) or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- 1 bunch of basil, leaves only chopped (chiffonade)
- Mince the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, hot pepper, and parsley. SautÃ© them in a quarter cup of olive oil; start them all in a cold saute pan at the same time.
- Meanwhile, core and cut up the roasted tomatoes. Roasted tomatoes can be placed in a paper bag or Ziploc immediately after roasting. Let cool slightly inside the bag to loosen the skin and make peeling easier.
- As soon as the onion has turned translucent, add the chopped, roasted tomatoes and salt to taste in the pot. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, till the tomatoes completely fall apart.
- Once the tomatoes have reduced, puree the cooked mixture through a blender or food processor to make smooth. Return the sauce to medium heat, stirring frequently until it has thickened - about 35 minutes. When the sauce is done, stir in the basil leaves and turn off the heat.
- Let basil incorporate for 10 minutes or more before serving.
- Note: should you prefer keeping your tomato skins ON - try adding in the 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and be sure the skins are strained out of the sauce right before putting in the food processor or blender to puree and before incorporating the basil.
NotesA "secret" recipe from an old friend and restauranteur...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes for Vitality
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern CreationsSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More