- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (cilantro was used this time, shhh don't tell)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes (get your 1/4 cup from this)
- 1/2 cup water (use this to rinse the rest of the tomatoes out of the can)
- 1 large sweet onion chopped (again, get the 1/4 cup from this)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley chopped (you got it, remove 1/4 cup from this)
- 1 packet low sodium chicken broth powder without msg
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl and gently mix together.
Coat a large deep saute pan with the canola oil and preheat over medium heat.
Form the beef mixture into meatballs the size of a golfball and add to the pan as you work.
Cover tightly and let cook for about 5 minutes. Shake the pan to turn the meatballs, add the rest of the onion and shake the pan again to settle it down on the bottom.
Cover and cook another five minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
Add remaining ingredients reserving a bit of parsley for garnish.
Cover tightly, reduce heat to low, simmer gently for 20 minutes.
Serve over hot cooked rice.