- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 lbs. lean pork, cut into cubes
- 1 bottle dark beer
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 lb. tomatillos, halved
- 1 lb. Roma tomatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- juice of one lime
- In a saucepan, add the beer, orange juice, tomatoes and tomatillos. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, simmering until the tomatoes are soft. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the canola oil in a dutch oven or stockpot. Add the garlic cloves and stir to coat with the oil. Sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper and then add it to the oil, in batches, to brown on all sides. Remove from the dutch oven. Add the onion and jalapeno and saute until tender, 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add the tomatillo mixture to the dutch oven, scraping the bottom of the pot to be sure you are getting all the browned bits. Add the pork, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cook, partially covered, for about 2 hours.
- Taste for seasoning. Add the black beans and cook an additional ten minutes, uncovered.
- For the topping, stir the lime juice into the sour cream.
- Serve the stew over rice, and top it with the sour cream
NotesThe Swallow's Pork and Tomatillo Stew
adapted from Ruth Reichl's "Tender at the Bone"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
My Family Cookbook
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More