PORK N BEANS STYLE BAKED BEANS
Pork n Beans Style Baked Beans
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time: 30
- 4 cups dried great northern beans washed, picked, soaked a minimum of 2 hours
- 1 Tbsp ginger powder
- 3 Tbsp dehydrated onion
- 1 tbsp dehydrated garlic
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp Spanish Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper, coarse grind
- 1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash Original Mix
- 1 Tbsp Louisiana Style Cajun Seasoning (contains salt)
- 4 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
- Baking Sauce
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp brown prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend(or 1/2 cup brown sugar)
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp sodium-free Cajun or sodium-free Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- Add Ins at the Baking Stage
- 1 cup bacon, cooked, cut into 1/2-inch or less sized cubes
- 2 cups ham, cooked, cut into inch cubes or thinner
Cook the Beans
1. Place prepared beans, all seasoning in a large crock pot. Pour 8 to 9 cups hot water over beans, Stir, cover and cook on high for 2 hours, then reduce to low. Check after 2 hours as additional hot water may need to be added. HEAT THE WATER, do not add cold water to beans!
Once beans are done: Baking Sauce
1. Mix all ingredients of the Baking Sauce until blended. Adjust seasoning to taste; DO NOT ADD SALT!
Bake the Beans
1. Spray a large baking dish with oil spray. Spread 1/3 of beans into dish. Place the ham evenly over the dish. Add another 1/3 of the beans. Spread the bacon evenly over the dish. Pour the remainder of the beans over the dish, spreading to cover the bacon.
2. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Bake at 250 for about 90 minutes to allow the flavors to go thru the beans. Uncover the dish and reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F for up to an additional hour before serving.
3. If serving time is longer, recover the dish to prevent drying out. This dish is just fine served at room temperature. It does contain meat, so it should not be allowed to sit at room temperatures too long.
Yield: 20 to 24 sides
Nutrition (per serving): 230 calories, 3.5g total fat, 1.3g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, <1g linoleic acid, 1.1g saturated fat, 11.2mg cholesterol, 39.3g carbohydrates, 8.8g fiber, 30.5g net carbohydrates, 13.7g sugar, <1g starch, 2.8g fructose, <1g galactose, 3.4g glucose, <1g sucrose, <1g maltose, 812.6mg sodium, 804.6mg potassium, 12.7g protein, 85.1mg calcium, 1054.2IU vitamin a, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mcg vitamin b12, 10.4mg vitamin c, 0IU vitamin d, 1.4mg vitamin e, 5.8mcg vitamin k, 3mg iron, <1g lysine, 10.2mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, 1.4mg zinc.
Website Credit: http://retiredwithnoregrets.blogspot.com/2011/11/pork-n-beans-style-baked-beans.html