- Cooking Time: 3-4
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 5 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350º F.
- Remove the gills and stems from the underside of the mushrooms and trim the edges off. Slice into ¼-inch strips.
- Measure flour into a pie plate. In another pie plate or bowl, combine panko, Parmigiano, parsley, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Dredge the mushrooms in flour, followed by the egg wash and finally in the panko.
- Working in batches, place the breaded mushroom slices in the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray. Makes 4 servings
NotesI serve these tasty "fries" with marinara sauce sprinkled with a little salt while still hot, but we also love them cold. The recipe comes from foodnetwork.com from Down Home with the Neelys.
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knife
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!See More
Curried Wheat Bread
Chicken Fried Steak (TNT)
BRIE AND PROSCIUTTO FILLED CHILE RELLENOS ON A BED OF FIGS AND ARUGULASee More