- Cooking Time: 3-4
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 5 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350º F.
- Remove the gills and stems from the underside of the mushrooms and trim the edges off. Slice into ¼-inch strips.
- Measure flour into a pie plate. In another pie plate or bowl, combine panko, Parmigiano, parsley, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Dredge the mushrooms in flour, followed by the egg wash and finally in the panko.
- Working in batches, place the breaded mushroom slices in the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray. Makes 4 servings
NotesI serve these tasty "fries" with marinara sauce sprinkled with a little salt while still hot, but we also love them cold. The recipe comes from foodnetwork.com from Down Home with the Neelys.