- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Bay leaf
- 5 Whole allspice
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste(or more if you want more tang to it)
- 1 Tablespoon pimento paste
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Pound smoked bacon(not packaged bacon)
- 1 Chourico sausage, diced
- 3 Cups navy beans, soaked and drained
- 1 Bottle of beer
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- n a skillet on low heat, cook the onion and garlic with butter and oil until they are soft and the onion is transparent. Add bay leaf, allspice, tomato paste,pimento paste and salt. Simmer until all ingredients are blended together, about 5 minutes.
- Chop bacon into cubes. Cut sausage into rounds and then slice again into quarters. Add to skillet and fry slowly for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pour drained beans into a large deep pan. Set aside. Add beer to the skillet and bring to a boil. Return to a simmer and add the water. Cook about 3 minutes longer, then pour mixture into the beans and stir. Add sugar.
- Pour beans in slow cooker and turn it to high for about 8 or 9 hours.
- Serves 6 people.
- Serve with a nice crusty bread. If you like you could add some red pepper flakes to spice it up a bit or select a spicy chourico for some heat. It is also great served over noodles.
NotesThis is a dish that I have had the pleasure of eating at my neighbour's. Very easy to make in the slow cooker. It reminds me very much of a bean soup that I make that we used to eat all the time in the fall and winter. I like the chourico for it's tanginess in this recipe, compared to the sausage I make which would be in my traditional bean soup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More