- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups dried kidney beans
- 16 cups boiling water
- 2 hot or mild Portuguese sausages
- 2 ham bones
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 2 14 ounce cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 heads white cabbage, sliced
- 8 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Wash beans, cover with boiling water and let stand for 1 hour.
- Slice sausage; add sausage and onions to undrained beans and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding water if necessary.
NotesThe best Portuguese bean soup we have tasted was in a restaurant near the Parker Ranch on the island of Hawaii, but this recipe comes close.
In California, Portuguese sausages from Hawaii can be purchased at Marukai markets and some supermarkets. Portuguese sausage can also be purchased online.
This recipe was given to us by a friend.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1See More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More