PORTUGUESE BEAN SOUP
Portuguese Bean Soup
- 4 cups dried kidney beans
- 16 cups boiling water
- 2 hot or mild Portuguese sausages
- 2 ham bones
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 2 14 ounce cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 heads white cabbage, sliced
- 8 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Wash beans, cover with boiling water and let stand for 1 hour.
Slice sausage; add sausage and onions to undrained beans and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
Add all other ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding water if necessary.
In California, Portuguese sausages from Hawaii can be purchased at Marukai markets and some supermarkets. Portuguese sausage can also be purchased online.
This recipe was given to us by a friend.