- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 cans of white hominy
- 6 tomatillos (papery skins removed)
- 6 serrano peppers (whole except for stems)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a SMALL bushel of cilantro (trimmed just below the leaves)
- 4 strips of bacon
- 3 slices of ham lunchmeat
- I got this recipe from my bestfriend's mother, Eva, before I went away to college. At the bottom, I will include the express version.
- Posole con Pollo
- Boil 3-4 chicken breasts in water with salt and pepper (remove bones and skin after cooking, if yours has them) but do not drain out broth water. Set chicken breasts to the side and when slightly cooled you can shred with a fork. Add 2 cans of white hominy with their juice to the chicken broth. In a small saucepan boil 6 tomatillos (papery skins removed), 6 serrano peppers (whole except for stems), and 2 cloves of garlic until all are soft. In a blender place a SMALL bushel of cilantro (trimmed just below the leaves)and the contents of the tomatillo mixture with as much of the juice as you can and blend until all is smooth. In a small frying pan fry 4 strips of bacon and 3 slices of ham lunchmeat together until bacon just starts to crisp up. Pour pork AND grease into chicken broth water. Add contents from blender and shredded chicken as well. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. This is served with tortilla chips and lime wedges.
- For a quick preparation:
- use 3 c chicken broth, 3 c cooked chicken, shredded (either left over from grilling or from a rotisserie chicken), 2 cans of salsa verde (the small ones about 8 oz or so, you can find them in the mexican section of the grocery store. Herdez and La Costena both make a decent one), and a small bunch of cilantro chopped. I will take my big soup pot, saute the bacon and ham. Then add broth, chicken, salsa verde, and hominy (drain for express). Allow this to come to a boil, then add cilantor and simmer 30 minutes. Doing it this was will cut your time in the kitchen tremendously. This is my husband's favorite soup and he likes it just as well the express way as the long way.
NotesI got this recipe from my bestfriend's mother, Eva, before I went away to college. At the bottom, I will include the express version.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Sailstad Family CookbookSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More