- Cooking Time: 180 minutes
- Servings: Ten
- Preparation Time: 30 to 40 minutes
- 10 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 5 pound boneless pot roasts
- 3 large onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 leek, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 20 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 9 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups port wine
- 6 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 9 cups Beef Broth
- 1½ teaspoons dry thyme
- 6 bay leaves
- 2½ pounds red potatoes, washed and quartered
- 9 Tablespoons butter
- 9 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325ºF.
- Heat 6 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Season the beef with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook in the skillet, turning occasionally, until browned. Transfer to a platter.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of the oil to a large pan.
- Add the onions, carrots, leek and celery, and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the wine and tomato paste.
- Add the meat to the pan and add the broth; bring to a boil.
- Add thyme and bay leaves.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a roasting pan and bake until meat is fork tender, about 2½ hours.
- Add the potatoes and bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to a deep platter, then use a slotted spoon to top with the vegetables.
- Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Mash the butter and flour with a rubber spatula in a large bowl to make a paste.
- Gradually whisk about 3 cups of the cooking liquid into the paste.
- Add remaining cooking liquid to a large pan, then whisk the butter/flour mixture into the pan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pour some of the gravy over the meat and vegetables.
- Pour gravy into a sauceboat and cover remaining gravy to keep warm.
- Carve the meat and serve with the vegetables, with the gravy passed on the side.
NotesWe were looking for a simple but tasty dinner to serve when we had friends over dinner and found this delightful pot roast recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More