- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 3-lb. chuck roast, tied
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 large thyme sprig
- 1 Turkish (or 2 California) bay leaf
- 1.5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, halved
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat, and add the olive oil. Sprinkle the roast liberally with salt and pepper. Add to the oil and sear on all sides. Remove the roast from the dutch oven. To the pot, add the onions, celery, and garlic until tender. Then stir in the tomato paste and cook it off for a minute or two until it browns.
- Deglaze with the red wine, being sure to scrape up all the browned bits. Reduce the wine slightly and then add the beef broth and salt and pepper to taste. Place the roast and any accumulated juices back into the dutch oven, along with the rosemary, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover and then place in the oven. Cook for about 3 or 3.5 hours, turning the roast occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, parsnips and mushrooms, stirring so they are covered in the cooking liquid. Cook an additional 30-45 minutes until vegetables are soft. Remove pot roast and vegetables from dutch oven with tongs and a slotted spoon. Return the pot back to the burner, heat over high, and reduce the liquid to thicken. Season to taste and serve over the meat and vegetables.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!
Breads and Pastry 101
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More