Potato Chana Masala
Why I Love This Recipe
Baked potatoes night after night can suck the life out of any dinner creation. Step outside your comfort zone and use these spuds to make a dish inspired by the cuisine of India.
This two-potato Chana Masala is a great option for anyone new to South-Asian flavours or South-Asians looking to take their household favourite to the next level.
Ingredients You'll Need
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
• 1½ tsp (7 mL) each Suraj coriander and cumin seeds
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and turmeric
• 2 large onions, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 jalapeño, finely diced
• 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes (skin on)
• 1 medium potato, scrubbed and cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes (skin on)
• 1 can (540 mL) Suraj chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 2 large tomatoes, chopped (about 3 cups/750 mL)
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh coriander
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat; cook coriander, cumin, salt and turmeric for 30 seconds, stirring.
2. Stir in onions; cook for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding up to 1/2 cup (125 mL) water if pan is too dry, or until softened.
3. Stir in garlic and jalapeño; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
4. Stir in sweet and regular potatoes; cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are slightly tender.
5. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes and a little water if mixture is too thick. Reduce heat to low and cover.
6. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in coriander and lemon juice. Serve with rice.