POTATO CHEESE PIE
- 3 lbs. baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 T. (3/4 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 T.. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 T. dry bread crumbs
- 2 T (1/4 stick) butter, cut into pieces
Preheat oven to 350.
Butter 10" glass pie plate.
Mix potatoes and garlic in large pot.
Cover with cold water and bring to boil. Continue boiling until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Drain then return potatoes and garlic to pot. Shake over medium heat until potatoes are dry, about 2 minutes. Mash potatoes with garlic and 6 T. butter.
Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, half and half and eggs and mash until fluffy.
Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
Stir in green onions. spoon half of potato mixture into prepared pie plate, spreading evenly.
Cover with cheddar cheese, pressing lightly with back of spoon.
Top with remaining potato mixture, spreading evenly.
Sprinkle with 3 T. Parmesan and bread crumbs. Dot with 2 T. butter.
Bake until golden brown and crusty, about 45 minutes.
Baked in a glass pie plate – should have added little more half and half and butter- it is a keeper.