- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryUnfortunately, these are so tasty that they may become habit forming and you will probably eat too many.
- 6 large Potatoes
- BECHAMEL SAUCE
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 5 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 5 ounces crumbled Maytag blue cheese
- 4 ounces crumbled Maytag blue cheese -- for sprinkling
- Peel potatoes and slice thinly with a mandoline.
- Wash potato slices in cool water to extract starch.
- Drain and dry slices and deep-fry in oil in small batches until crisp at 350 degrees. (Do not fry too dark, as chips will be baked in the oven later.)
- After frying, drain chips and salt them immediately with Kosher salt; set aside.
- To make the sauce: In a large saucepan bring the milk and cream to a boil.
- Remove from heat; add butter and cream cheese, parmesan and 5 ounces of blue cheese, whisking constantly, until melted.
- If lumpy, mix in the blender until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour 2 to 4 tablespoons sauce on an 8-inch oven-proof plate.
- Mound chips high on the plate and cover with about 1/2 cup sauce, or to taste.
- Generously sprinkle with Maytag blue cheese and bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Any leftover sauce or cheese can be used on baked potatoes or pasta.