- Cooking Time: 1.5 hours
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 cups yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 medium red potatoes, sliced in half then sliced very thin (use a mandoline or a food processor for this!)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 3 Tbls. tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium low heat.
- Add onion and cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring every once in a while. Your onions need to get super soft and turn a dark golden color before you add anything else or you won't get the right flavor.
- Once you get them to that point, stir in garlic, red wine, tomato paste, bay leaf and potatoes.
- Let simmer for about 5 minutes before pouring in your stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 35 - 45 minutes, until your potatoes are fork tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove bay leaf, and serve.
NotesWe needed a real pick me up after the horrifying Red Sox losses this weekend. A sad end to a long season needs comfort food!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
My Family CookbookSee More
Oreo Cookie Balls
Crispy Chicken Strips
Star Anise Spice CakeSee More