POTATO ONION COMFORT SOUP
- Cooking Time: 1.5 hours
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 cups yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 medium red potatoes, sliced in half then sliced very thin (use a mandoline or a food processor for this!)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 3 Tbls. tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium low heat.
Add onion and cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring every once in a while. Your onions need to get super soft and turn a dark golden color before you add anything else or you won't get the right flavor.
Once you get them to that point, stir in garlic, red wine, tomato paste, bay leaf and potatoes.
Let simmer for about 5 minutes before pouring in your stock.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 35 - 45 minutes, until your potatoes are fork tender.
Season with salt and pepper, remove bay leaf, and serve.