- Cooking Time: 0
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 0
- 1 can (15 ounces) spinach or kale
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups plain, fat-free yogurt, divided
- Mince spinach, potatoes, 1/4 cup green onion and garlic together in a food processor, using the pulsing action. Combine the spinach-potato mixture with broth in a medium saucepan. Add mace and pepper. Blend well; heat through over medium heat. Just before serving blend in 1 cup yogurt. To serve, top the chowder with dollops of the remaining yogurt and green onion.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Calories 110; Total fat 1.5g; Saturated Fat 0.5g; Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 430mg; Carbohydrate 18g; Fiber 3g; Protein 6g
NotesInspired by colcannon, an Irish peasant dish made of potato, onion and spinach (or kale), this chowder gets its convenience and plenty of nutrition from canned potatoes, as well as canned spinach or kale. Deep-green, leafy vegetables deliver plenty of beta-carotene, which forms vitamin A.