POTATO AND LEEK SOUP
- 10 oz. thick sliced bacon (about 10 slices), diced about 1/4"
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped about 1/2"
- 2 small or 1 large leek (just the white and light green part), split and washed
- 5 lb. potatoes (use any small variety, just do not use russet potatoes, I like to use yellow Finns or Yukon Gold potatoes), peeled...3 lb. cut into large pieces and 2 lb. diced 1/2"
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 gallon chicken stock
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 qt. Half&Half
- 3 each scallions, green only, sliced thin
- 1/2 lb. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
Heat a six qt. pot over high heat and add the bacon.
Cook until crisp and remove from the fat and drain (this will be garnish for the soup), leave the fat in the pot.
Add the onions and cook until beginning to brown.
Add the leeks and cook for about one minute.
Add the large pieces of potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the wine and cook for 3 more minutes.
Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium high and cook until the potatoes are breaking down.
Remove from the heat and pureé the liquid.
Add the Half&Half and bring to a slow boil.
Add the rest of the potatoes and cook on low for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are done.
Serve with a crusty bread and garnish with crisp bacon, sliced green onions and shredded sharp Cheddar cheese