POTATO AND LEEK SOUP
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1 sm onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 med leek, coarsely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bacon slice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium starchy potatoes, skinned and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1 1/2 c cream (I used whole milk)
- 1/2 c sour cream
Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add vegetables, thyme, bacon, and bay leaf and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
Add potatoes, then cover with stock and cream. Bring to a simmer and cook partially covered for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
Transfer soup to a food processor and blend until is has reached the desired consistency. I don't like to puree my soups very much - I enjoy the texture that a less pureed one has to offer. Transfer soup back to pot.
Blend in sour cream, season with salt and pepper, and serve with French bread.