- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6-8med Yukon Gold potatoes, or any other w/a waxy skin, scrubbed clean and diced
- 1sm onion, chopped
- 1/8c vegetable oil
- 2tblsp butter
- 1/2tsp ea, ground: Cumin, Coriander, Cardomom, Mace, Ajwain, Turmeric, Curry
- 1/2tsp ea, paste: Garlic, Ginger, Red Chili
- 3-5tblsp Tomato paste (try the kind in the tube)
- 1c plain Greek yogurt (because it's the real deal)
- 1/2c Cashew pieces
- 1c+/- frozen green Peas
- Steam or boil potatoes til just beginning to tender; I used one of those new plastic Glad bags just for steaming, and it took about 6min in the microwave.
- Meanwhile, heat oil & butter in heavy Dutch oven over med heat. Add steamed potatoes, onion and ground spices, and brown 3-5min til onions soften. Add pastes and stir well to incorporate. Add yogurt and cashews, and stir to blend. Add Frozen peas (I like a lot, but some just like them for color) and blend. Cover, reduce heat and cook 15min or so til potatoes are very tender, peas are cooked and sauce has thickened. Serve with Butter Chicken and steamed Basmati Rice.
NotesIf I knew how to say this in Hindi, I'd put it under Int'l Cuisine. But I don't, so I'm calling it a Side Dish. It's one of my FAVORITE Indian dishes, so I found out how to make it (I asked the lady at the Nest Indian Grocery), and it premiered this weekend w/Butter Chicken. My sissy said it was better than any she'd ever had in a restaurant! And she eats this a LOT.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More